Why I love this recipe…What is the point of a slow-cooker recipe if I have to spend a bunch of time in prep anyway? This recipe is great! Make it on Meatless Monday, and there is no need to cook the filling before hand, just mix it up, stuff the peppers, and let your slow cooker do the rest! There are probably better (healthier) options than refried beans to bind the filling.
- 6 bell peppers
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
- 1 14 ounces can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 14 ounces can refried beans
- 1½ cups red enchilada sauce
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- 1½ cups shredded Pepperjack cheese
- toppings! cilantro, avocado, sour cream,
- Cut the tops off of the peppers and scrape out the ribs and seeds.
- In a large bowl, combine the quinoa, beans, enchilada sauce, spices, and 1 cup of the cheese. Fill each pepper with the quinoa mixture.
- Pour ½ cup water into the bottom of a crockpot. Place the peppers in the crockpot so they’re sitting in the water. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or high for 3 hours. Remove lid, distribute remaining cheese over the tops of the peppers, and cover again for a few minutes to melt the cheese.
- Serve topped with anything you like!