Want an easy weeknight dinner? Chicken skewers can be fun for the whole family and a great way to add some new flavor. They can also easily be done on the grill in the summertime or with the stove or oven in the winter! Throw your favorite veggie with it and boom, dinner is served!
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic*
- 1/2 teaspoon fine Himalayan salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast (or steak)
- Have ready 7 to 9 skewers. If using wooden or bamboo skewers, soak them in water for at least 30 minutes before grilling.
- In a bowl, combine the garlic, salt, pepper, oregano, oil and lime juice and stir to form a paste.
- Cut chicken breasts into 1-inch chunks and place in a glass container with a lid. Pour the marinade over the chicken and stir to combine. Cover the chicken and refrigerate for a minimum of 2 hours, up to overnight.
- Prepare a grill for direct cooking over medium heat (325 to 375F ). Depending on the type of grill this may take 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the refrigerator and thread it onto the skewers, spreading each piece as flat as possible and leaving a very small space between each piece.
- Once the grill is hot, brush the cooking grates clean, if necessary (to prevent sticking). Grill the kebabs over direct medium heat, keeping the lid closed as much as possible, until the chicken is firm to the touch and no longer pink in the center, 8 to 10 minutes total, turning once or twice during cooking. Take care not overcook.
- Remove from the grill and serve immediately.
Optional: Drizzle with a little Cilantro Sauce from last weeks blog! Add a 1/4 cup of black beans and some brown rice for a Latin flare. For leftovers, serve skewers with a big Green Salad with you favorite veggie toppings and a champagne vinaigrette!