In modern times physicians treat the disease, while functional medicine physicians treat the patient. This is essentially the reason why functional medicine is so incredible. There are parts derived from both modern scientific medicine and functional medicine clinics as well.
Functional Medicine is a biology-based approach. It focuses on identifying and addressing the cause of a disease rather than addressing the symptoms. These clinics take a holistic approach to understand who you are, and understand that everyone requires different plans.
One huge part of functional medicine is avoiding drugs to simply cure a disease. Instead, functional medicine doctors discover why you have an ailment and then go on to fix the problem.
There are five principles of functional medicine:
- Everyone is different, both genetically and biochemically. This means that you must take a personalized approach and treat the person rather than the disease.
- It is science-based. There is a complex network of relationships in the body. Understanding these provides a better understanding of our overall body.
- The human body is capable of self-regulation. Your body has millions of systems interconnected with one another in a delicate balance.
- Your body can often heal itself.
- Your body can prevent many of the diseases of aging.
- Health is a state not just the absence of a disease or an ailment.
The medical management model goes along with traditional practices use is typically quick to provide drugs, surgery, or acute care. Although this is necessary in certain cases, it is not for chronic health conditions. In functional medicine, chronic health conditions require a two-step solution:
- Find what the body is lacking and push it back to its state of optimal performance.
- Remove anything that stops the body from moving toward this state.
Functional medicine practitioners work to determine what the body is not functioning and how to make it function. Treatment often involves nutritional and lifestyle alterations, and sometimes counseling as well as a combination of natural agents. These might include herbs, homeopathics, and supplements.
Functional medicine physicians typically push their patients to take an active role in their lives and their health. This is done through education regarding the body and its processes. It is believed that through this, there will be a greater chance of being treated successfully and living a healthier life.
If you would trust another doctor then you should trust a functional medicine doctor. These doctors went to medical school and practice a holistic approach that makes sense. You should definitely trust a functional medicine doctor because it simply makes sense to treat the person, not just the symptoms.
At Denver Functional Health we can offer you the chance to learn from our doctors and take control of your life. Contact us today to learn more.